Thomas Hallgren wrote:

Other than that fear, though, the JNI approach seems to have pretty
considerable advantages.  You listed startup time as the main
disadvantage, but perhaps that could be worked around.  Suppose the
postmaster started a JVM --- would that state inherit correctly into
subsequently forked backends?

That's an interesting thougth. The postmaster just forks. It never exec's
right? Is this true for win32 as well? I've never tried it but it might be
worth pursuing. Sun's new Java 1.5 jvm does this albeit a bit differently.
An initializer process starts up and persists its state. Subsequent JVM's
then reuse that state. I definitely plan for Pl/Java_JNI to take advantage
of that.

Unfortunately, WIN32 has no fork(), and we have to exec the backend, in effect. You would need to handle both scenarios (#ifdef EXEC_BACKEND). For Unix this could be nice, though , and eliminate most of the disadvantage of your approach.

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend