Thomas Hallgren wrote:
That's an interesting thougth. The postmaster just forks. It never exec's
right? Is this true for win32 as well? I've never tried it but it might be
worth pursuing. Sun's new Java 1.5 jvm does this albeit a bit differently.
An initializer process starts up and persists its state. Subsequent JVM's
then reuse that state. I definitely plan for Pl/Java_JNI to take advantage
of that.

It would be easy enough to test. Just put a line in postgresql.conf like: preload_libraries = '$libdir/plr:plr_init' substituting the specifics for PL/Java.

This causes the postmaster to load the library and execute the "init" function. Subsequent forked backends get a copy. I don't honestly know what happens with the win32 port though -- anyone out there know?

Joe

http://archives.postgresql.org