Karel Zak wrote:
Hi,

in TODO is item: "* Allow dump/load of CSV format". I don't think
it's clean idea. Why CSV and why not something other? :-)

A why not allow to users full control of the format by they own
function. It means something like:
COPY tablename [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
TO { 'filename' | STDOUT }
[ [ WITH ] [ BINARY ]
[ OIDS ]
[ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
[ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ]
[ FORMAT funcname ] ]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The formatting function API can be pretty simple:

text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction, int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)

-- it's pseudocode of course, it should be use standard fmgr
interface.
It's probably interesting for non-binary COPY version.
Comments?

Karel

Karel,

This seems to be an excellent idea.
People have already asked for many different formats.
Usually I recommend them to use "psql -c "COPY ..." dbname | awk ...".
Since Windows will be supported soon, it will be hard to pipe data to a useful program (awk, sed, ...). Maybe this feature would help a lot in this case.

Regards,

Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/664/233 90 75 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster