Gavin Sherry wrote:

I was initially against the idea of using libpq but its growing on me too.

I think it would be good if the core functions of pg_autovacuum: threshold
algorithms, connection, issuing commands can be (re?)designed such that
not only the backend can link against it but also a stripped down
pg_autovacuum binary which can be used manually. That way users can have a
choice and a workaround if there are any issues with the backend model.
Also useful for debugging.

I agree. Initially, it appears that this won't be a problem since the pg_autovacuum executable will be untouched (or as untouched as possible anyway), it will just be launched by the backend. Going forward if I use any of the functionality provided by the backend (error reporting etc...) I will then have to deign it to work in both stand alone and postmaster sub-process modes, which I think is doable.

Matthew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?