Bruce Momjian wrote:

My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?" I don't know there is
anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

MySQL became popular at my university when the students discovered they could install it on their personal computers. Just the exposure for personal development and trial is enough to win a following.

Win32 installations are a big deal. With win32 machines outnumbering *nix operating systems by more than 10 to 1 (more on personal computers), the "unix only" restriction reduced the number of possible people testing and developing with it by at least that amount. Most developers I know work primarily on Windows workstations and asking for a machine to run Postgresql on unix is just not practical. With the win32 port, they can run it on their computers and at least test or evaluate their projects.

I and a number of my friends are exceptionally please at the progress of the win32 port. Thank you!