Thanks for your real-time respone!

the problem was sloved after I upgrade the postgreSQL from 7.3.4 to 7.4.2.

by the way, is there any bug-tracking website for postgreSQL ?
I follow the [HOMEPAGE] -> [DEVELOPERS] -> find nothing relative to bugzilla-like items,
follow the [GBROG] ->>> it's PostgreSQL related projects , but without PostgreSQL itself ?

let me show a advertisement... quote from ORELLY's Developer Weblogs
> RT foundry is being developed in Taiwan as part of the Open Foundry Project, which is aimed at encouraging for
> FS/OSS development in Taiwan. The foundry is a SF-like, expect using better technologies
> (RT for bug/request tracking, subversion for source control, etc ...

the following link is the issue and comments log for sloving this problem I said.
http://rt.openfoundry.org/Foundry/Project/Tracker/Display.html?Queue=90&id=2653

there are some chinese characters mixed, but I just wanna to show that host a dedicate issue/bug tracking system
may improve a software project evloution.

June-Yen

Tom Lane wrote:

jihuang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I put 360000+ rows in a table , and now any select , update , analyze ... command fail.
the log shows "ERROR: heapgettup: failed ReadBuffer",

What Postgres version is this? AFAICS that error has been impossible for quite some time ...

regards, tom lane

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?