Lamar Owen wrote:

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 16:08, Simon Riggs wrote:

The June 1st date was first mentioned on list in mid-March (to me), but
wasn't generally announced until May under a specific heading. If it was
set in January, I was never knowingly party to that info.

Well, it should not have surprised anyone. We have targeted June 1 as a beta freeze date for several versions, not just 7.5. In fact, looking back through last year's pre-7.4 discussion, it's deja vu all over again....

Here's what Tom said on 31 March:

----------

"Simon Riggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[ expecting to finish PITR by early June ]

Is this all still OK for 7.5? (My attempts at cataloguing changes has
fallen by the wayside in concentrating on the more important task of
PITR.) Do we have a planned freeze month yet?

There's not really a plan at the moment, but I had June in the back of my head as a good time; it looks to me like the Windows port will be stable enough for beta in another month or two, and it'd be good if PITR were ready to go by then.

That seems to indicate that at that stage, barely 2 months ago, the month was not definite, let alone the day.

I confess that as a newcomer I was not around before the 7.4 cycle, so saying that people should have known the freeze date because it is following past patterns doesn't help me much. Are people supposed to obtain this info by trawling mailing list archives years back, or by some sort of divine revelation? Other OS projects manage this whole process better, IMNSHO. I'm not trying to point fingers, but to get future improvement.

cheers

andrew