Andreas Pflug wrote:

We agreed long ago that the
postmaster should never depend on the correctness of any shared memory
data structure; but this patch would make it do so.

I understand that, so what's the suggested way to store data common for all backends?

Answering my own question, the distribution of the current logfile name could be done trough a file handle. So the only thing remaining in shared mem would be the "reopen logfile" flag, which seems nonproblematic. In case of garbled sharedmem, a backend would reopen the logfile, which does no harm at all, or continue writing the outdated logfile which would be annoying but not harmful either.

Acceptable?

Regards,
Andreas

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend