[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What is the recommended way to create mutex objects (CreateMutex) from
Win32 libraries? There must be a clean way like there is in pthreads.

A mutex is inherently a global object. CreateMutex(NULL, FALSE, NULL) will return a handle to an unowned mutex.

That's not the problem. Under pthread, it's possible to initialize a mutex from compile time:

   static pthread_mutex_t init_mutex = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;

This means that the mutex is immediately valid, no races with the initialization. I couldn't find an equivalent Win32 feature.

--
   Manfred