Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

Having two parsers would be a nightmare to maintain.

Probably. It just came to my mind because one visitor mentioned he would look at the bison stuff to do it himself. I meant to enable him to do so if he likes (and can) without hacking the core product.

If anything one could have one parser that handles oracle syntax and give
errors on such constructs unless some variable is set.

The question is how much of the problems that are pure syntax and what needs deeper changes. My guess is that just changing some syntax will not be enough to make many oracle program work.

That's true, it's the question how much can be offered without too much effort.
I'm not too deep in oracle stuff, what comes to my mind is
- outer join syntax (parser thing)
- sequences usage (parser too)
- maybe stored procedure call, with a wrapper to convert output parameters to a composite return value.

There's certainly no point supporting any weird ddl command, so there's still porting work to be done when migrating.

Regards,
Andreas

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend