Alvaro Herrera wrote:

On the other hand, some people supported the idea that v3 Bind portals
should behave nontransactionally, while DECLARE portals should behave
transactionally.  Maybe we could make that a property of the portal, or
even a user-selectable property (where we would define a reasonable
default behavior).

If this is going to happen, either the protocol-level portals need access to all the functionality of DECLARE, or it needs to be done as a user-selectable property of DECLARE. Currently the JDBC driver uses only protocol-level portals, but as soon as we want to support large scrollable or holdable ResultSets (effectively unsupported by the current driver) it will have to use DECLARE to get access to SCROLL / WITH HOLD.

-O