"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> I think you should first trace down what the problem really is --- is
>> your system just misconfigured or is there some fundamental issue that
>> we really ought to answer to?

> The trouble on AIX is, that getaddrinfo only does a nameservice lookup,
> no /etc/hosts.

Wouldn't that break many other programs besides Postgres?  But in any
case if your nameserver doesn't resolve localhost, I'd say you'd better
fix your nameserver.  See eg, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html

      The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
      host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
      loop back IP address and is reserved for such use.  Any other use
      would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.

               http://archives.postgresql.org