Jan Wieck wrote:

On 8/9/2004 7:19 AM, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

Hi all,
I have seen the big debat about to have the delay
off or on by default.

Why not enable it by default and introduce a new
parameter to vacuum command itself ? Something like:

VACUUM .... WITH DELAY 100;

It's not just one parameter to tune here. It is a set of parameters that all together need to be viewed as a whole. The slowdown will be affected by the other parameters as well, so turning the millisecond knob only is not even half of the story.

So the other parameter will inserted in the new sintax too, I think is fundamental the ability of override this values during the vacuum call:

VACUUM .... WITH DELAY 100 [ .... ];

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings