Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 9/1/2004 9:02 PM, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
>> Jan Wieck wrote:
>>

>>> Which is another point I was about to ask. How do these people,
>>> running those huge and horribly important databases, ever test a
>>> single application change? Or any schema changes for that matter. Do
>>> they really type "psql -c 'alter table ...' proddb" and believe they
>>> are professional users because they know what they are doing?
>>

>> I do alter table, but of course before to do it, I run my regression test
>> on a database with almost no data inside. Each stored procedure is tested
>> in order to execute each execution path.
>> In 3 years working in this way I had no a singol failure after an alter
>> schema operation.
>

> If it is possible to define a representative but smaller dataset for
> test purposes, that is certainly doable. Some systems are just too
> complex to do this. SAP for example recommends a 4 stage deployment
> scenario in case you do your own application development in R/3 systems.
> You would have one or more development systems, that deliver their
> changes into test systems with small and not necessarily representative
> data. If all tests there succeed, the software is transported into the
> integration test system, which is basically a copy of the production
> system with full data. Only if that transport and the following tests
> succeed, you transport exactly the same set of programs and catalog
> changes into the production system. Otherwise you reset the integration
> test system back to be a copy of the production system.
>
> There are a lot of possible levels between playing russian roulette with
> your data and being paranoid. If a corrupted database can cause the
> company to go under, some prefer paranoid.

Paranoid means also don't trust in new hw without have test it for a while.
How ever if I leave unchanged all interfaces and all my test cases are
continuously passing ( 3200 different test in my case ) all the night long
 I'm quite sure that the schema change will not hurt nothing. However I have to
say that add come column, with default value and a check on it is no to
doable with very bigtables. Fortunately with the 8.0 you can do these tasks
in one shot.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

     joining column's datatypes do not match