I'm fairly displeased with what pgindent has done to single-line PG_TRY
constructs, as in this example from pl_exec.c:

*************** exec_stmt_block(PLpgSQL_execstate * esta
*** 911,922 ****
                                 SPI_result_code_string(xrc));

                PG_TRY();
!               {
!                       rc = exec_stmts(estate, block->body);
!               }
                PG_CATCH();
                {
!                       ErrorData *edata;
                        PLpgSQL_exceptions *exceptions;
                        int                     j;

--- 912,921 ----
                                 SPI_result_code_string(xrc));

                PG_TRY();
!               rc = exec_stmts(estate, block->body);
                PG_CATCH();
                {
!                       ErrorData  *edata;
                        PLpgSQL_exceptions *exceptions;
                        int                     j;

*************** exec_stmt_block(PLpgSQL_execstate * esta

On the whole I'd prefer that pgindent not suppress "unnecessary"
brace pairs at all.

               http://archives.postgresql.org