Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Tom Lane said:

I'm fairly displeased with what pgindent has done to single-line PG_TRY
constructs, as in this example from pl_exec.c:

*************** exec_stmt_block(PLpgSQL_execstate * esta
*** 911,922 ****
                               SPI_result_code_string(xrc));

              PG_TRY();
!               {
!                       rc = exec_stmts(estate, block->body);
!               }
              PG_CATCH();
              {
!                       ErrorData *edata;
                      PLpgSQL_exceptions *exceptions;
                      int                     j;

--- 912,921 ----
                               SPI_result_code_string(xrc));

              PG_TRY();
!               rc = exec_stmts(estate, block->body);
              PG_CATCH();
              {
!                       ErrorData  *edata;
                      PLpgSQL_exceptions *exceptions;
                      int                     j;

*************** exec_stmt_block(PLpgSQL_execstate * esta

On the whole I'd prefer that pgindent not suppress "unnecessary"
brace pairs at all.

I had that argument a while ago with Bruce and lost :-) . It does horrible things to if/else constructs too. The workaround is to put a comment in the block. On the whole I agree with you, though. If I put braces in my program it's for a reason, and the indenter shouldn't think it knows better than me.

Well I'm not exactly a C coder, I'm a C++ one and it's quite common use the extra scope in order to reduce the automatic variable life, I don't know how much the extra scope are used in the C world, however remove an "extra scope" like that is not only "horrible", is *wrong* and can be cause of future pain:

foo ( int a ) { ... { int a; } // use the formal parameter }

if the extra scope is removed the local variable "shadow" the formal
parameter. Some compilers do not warning you, IIRC the Digital had this funny omission,
( however you can miss the warning ) and hours of debugging are behind the corner.
I hope that Bruce change his mind...

Regards Gaetano Mendola

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster