Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

I'm certainly open to considering subversion, although I have a certain traumatic experience with it that may or may not be related to the BDB backend that it uses.

I think for a start it would be nice if pgfoundry could optionally offer subversion (and/or arch) for source control, so that some developer groups and also our system administrators could get some experience with it.

I good very start point is see if cvs2svn can handle the postgresql CVS without
errors.

I tried that yesterday out of curiosity. It had problems with 3 files which I removed manually:

/pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5/Attic/ApachePg.pl,v
/pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5/Attic/test.pl.newstyle,v
/pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5/Attic/test.pl.oldstyle.pl,v

Otherwise, no problems.

Interestingly, the subversion repository is 585MB, and the CVS repository is only 260MB, so apparently Subversion is not very good at compressing the repository. Not that it matters, though.

Subversion, I believe uses SleepycatDb (eg Db4). Thus it isn't flat files like CVS.

I also agree with Andrew's observation that it's really up to the committers since they are the ones that have to work with whatever system we have.

I like subversion very much, but one thing that troubles me a bit is the number of extra libraries required to compile and run it. Also, is there pre-compiled binaries for all the platforms that PostgreSQL supports?

Doubtful. Also there are known issues with Subversion on >FC1 if you are running newer versions of it. You have to compile specially with --without-posix-mutexes (I think that was the flag).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- Heikki

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

-- Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting. +1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334