Moved to -hackers where this belongs :)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:
<snip>
Yup. 20000 < 23072, so you're losing some proportion of FSM entries.
What's worse, the FSM relation table is maxed out (1000 = 1000) which
suggests that there are relations not being tracked at all; you have
no idea how much space is getting leaked in those.

You can determine the number of relations potentially needing FSM
entries by
        select count(*) from pg_class where relkind in ('r','i','t');
--- sum over all databases in the cluster to get the right result.

Once you've fixed max_fsm_relations, do vacuums in all databases, and
then vacuum verbose should give you a usable lower bound for
max_fsm_pages.

Would making max_fsm_relations and max_fsm_pages dynamically update themselves whilst PostgreSQL runs be useful? Sounds like they're the kind of things that many people would receive maximum benefit if PostgreSQL altered these settings as needed itself.

I'm not sure if I like this one too much ... but it would be nice if something like this triggered a warning in the logs, maybe a feature of pg_autovacuum itself?

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

http://archives.postgresql.org