Magnus Hagander wrote:

The error appears to be on line that uses NEAR and complains about it ... I see that the MinGW windef.h defines NEAR as empty, while the MSVC windef.h defines it as "near". Don't know if that makes a difference.

Some reading up on MSDN gives this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore9 8/html/_core_removing_near_and_far_type_declarations.asp

From what I can tell, NEAR is defined to near, which is then defined to
blank in my windef.h (from the platform SDK included in VS2003)

Could it be that we need to include windef.h explicitly, before we
include this one? Worth a try.

I tried but it didn't work. However, I made some progress with changing the section to look like this:

#ifdef WIN32
#include "win32.h"
#ifndef _WIN32_IE
#define _WIN32_IE 0x0400
#endif
#ifdef near
#undef near
#endif
#define near
#include <shlobj.h>
#else

Now the make produces this:

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

       cd include
       if not exist pg_config.h copy pg_config.h.win32 pg_config.h
       cd ..
       cd interfaces\libpq
       nmake /f win32.mak

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

Building the Win32 static library...

cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1248.tmp
getaddrinfo.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1249.tmp
pgstrcasecmp.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm124A.tmp
thread.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm124B.tmp
inet_aton.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm124C.tmp
crypt.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm124D.tmp
noblock.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm124E.tmp
md5.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm124F.tmp
ip.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1250.tmp
wchar.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1251.tmp
encnames.c
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1252.tmp
win32.c
fe-auth.c
fe-protocol2.c
fe-protocol3.c
fe-connect.c
fe-exec.c
fe-lobj.c
fe-misc.c
fe-print.c
fe-secure.c
pqexpbuffer.c
pqsignal.c
pthread-win32.c
link.exe -lib @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1253.tmp
cl.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1254.tmp
libpqdll.c
rc.exe /l 0x409 /fo".\Release\libpq.res" libpq.rc
link.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\adunstan\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm1255.tmp
libpqdll.def(3) : warning LNK4017: DESCRIPTION statement not supported for the target platform; ignored
Creating library .\Release\libpqdll.lib and object .\Release\libpqdll.exp
libpq.lib(fe-connect.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol [EMAIL PROTECTED] referenced in function _pqGetHomeDirectory
.\Release\libpq.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link.exe' : return code '0x460'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\VC7\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

cheers

andrew

http://archives.postgresql.org