Bruce Momjian wrote:
Added to TODO based on this discusion:... * Speed up COUNT(*)

One think I think would help lots of people is if the documentation near the COUNT aggregate explained some of the techniques using triggers to maintain a count for tables where this is important.

For every one person who reads the mailinglist archives,
I bet there are dozens who merely read the product
documentation and never find the workaround/solution.

Perhaps a note below the table here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/functions-aggregate.html#FUNCTIONS-AGGREGATE-TABLE
would be a good place.   If it is already somewhere in
the docs; perhaps the page I linked should refer to the
other page as well.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend