On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
One problem in working around the GIF format patent is that you had to
create a file that was readable by many of the existing GIF readers.
With PostgreSQL, only we read our own data files so we can more easily
make adjustments to avoid patents.

I did not see any reaction to my ideas above. Is this a good plan?

No, as an 8.0.x is mean to be for minor changes/fixes/improvements ... 'addressing a patnt conflict', at least in ARC's case, is a major change, which is why we are looking at a short dev cycle for 8.1 ...

So if we have to address it we call it 8.0.7 or something. My point is that we don't need to address it until we actually find out the patent is being enforced against someone, and that possibility is quite unlikely.

Ah, so you are advocating waiting *until* the problem exists, even *after* we know a) there may be a problem and b) we know that we can fix it ... ?

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664