On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

What's really being debated here is how we can have adequate confidence in a change that is admittedly larger than we like to back-patch. It's not an unprecedented thing mind you; we have back-patched some fairly large bug fixes in the past. But it's a bit galling to be taking any such risk for purely legal rather than technical reasons.

How hard would it be to do as several have suggested already ... abstract out the ARC/LRU stuff into an API? Then, we wouldn't have to remove ARC, per se, only shift it? Wouldn't that be a smaller patch overall? Then, for our non-US users, they could continue to use ARC even after the patent (myself included), while a plug-in replacement could be available for US users?

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664