Bruce Momjian wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Might it be possible to contact IBM directly and ask if they will allow
usage of the patent for PostgreSQL. They've let 500 patents for open
source, maybe they'll give a write off for this as well.

There is an advantage beyond just not having to re-write the code, but it
would also be sort of an IBM blessing, great PR.

I will be at "Linux World" and see if there is an IBM booth, maybe I can
get some contact info.

I doubt they will give us something that extends to companies that sell
PostgreSQL so I don't see the point.

Also if I recall didn't Tom already have a patch ready to be tested for the q2 stuff?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

FYI, core has discussed the pending IBM ARC patent and the usage of
those ideas in 8.0.

Tom has found a 2Q cache algorithm that predates the ARC patent and is
very similar to ARC.  The major difference is that it doesn't auto-size
the ARC sub-buffers.

Core believes it is best to backpatch this 2Q algorithm into 8.0.X to
avoid any possible patent problems if the patent is granted and
enforced.

We are testing the use of the 2Q code to see if it has any performance
impact.  The 8.0.X release that uses 2Q will have more extensive testing
than a normal minor release.  8.1 will have a new cache algorithm that
hopefully will remove the buffer contention problems experienced by SMP
machines.

For development, this means we will _not_ have a shortened, non-initdb
8.1 release but a regular release cycle with the typical big batch of
features.

 +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

+1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334