Stephan Szabo wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

Stephan Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

(a) within 200,000 transactions of wrap, every transaction start
delivers a WARNING message;

(b) within 100,000 transactions, forced shutdown as above.

This seems reasonable, although perhaps the former could be something
configurable.  I'm not sure there's a good reason to allow the latter to
change unless there'd ever be a case where 100,000 transactions wasn't
enough to vacuum or something like that.

All in all, I figure that odds are very high that if someone isn't
vacuuming in the rest of the transaction id space, either the transaction
rate is high enough that 100,000 warning may not be enough or they aren't
going to pay attention anyway and the howitzer might not be bad.

How would people feel about stopping after the first 100 transactions too? Pro: Teaches the lesson straight away. Con: Irritating Con: Might not be enough time for automated installers

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd