--On söndag, mars 27, 2005 04.34.03 +0300 Hannu Krosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

On L, 2005-03-26 at 03:09 +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

Hi!

I've noticed a couple of things about using the ICU patch vs. pristine
pg-8.0.1:

- ORDER BY is case insensitive when using ICU. This might break the SQL
standard (?), but sure is nice :)

Just a comment: ORDER BY *is* already case sensitive on Linux, since its strcoll ignores case. I doubt very much it violates SQL standards.

How does your patch interact with the ability to use indexes for
anchored LIKE or regex (i.e. can "name LIKE 'start%'" still use index) ?

I don't think it matters. You still need to use the special non-locale index functions described in the handbook to get anchored like queries use indices. My ICU patch does not alter this. ICU is "injected" where strings are compared and the database cluster was initialized with a multibyte character encoding.

The problem, AFAIK, has to do with the nature of (some) locales, not with a specific implementation of collation.

Regards,
Palle

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match