On Mon, 2 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

I'm not pointing fingers at you either :) But, you are one of how many that try and get 'added to core'? How many things do we have in contrib that the only person that does any 'whacking' is Tom? A couple I've seen patches go around for, but for a good portion of them, I imagine that they are 'dead except that Tom keeps fixing them' ...

In contrib I would bet a lot. I have argued for the removal of TSearch (not TSearch2) for example. Also RServ could probably stand to be removed.

rserv was removed long ago ... not sure why tsearch is in there stil though ...

If it isn't in core, it is a second class project. Regardless of how we all "want" to feel about it.

As you've seen in the note that I sent to you ... my biggest 'beef' against continually adding things is the download size just keeps growing, and when someone already has the core installed, having to redownload it because they've decided to add something like pl/PHP when pl/PHP doesn't need anything but the headers/libraries that are already installed seems idiotic at best ... if some method of extending 'make dist' for the release cycle can be devised so that pl/PHP (and the other pl/'s would be nice eventually) tar *with* the core .tar.gz *and* a seperate plphp-<release>.tar.gz file that can be downloaded seperately, my arguments against will have been negated ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664