On Thu, 5 May 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

"Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Note that what Tom is proposing is actually yanking *all* PLs from the
core source tree, but having them all within the core CVS ... I believe
his "motivation" is that he only has one CVSROOT to set to get at all the
files, but that they are seperate from the core distribution itself ...

plpgsql should probably stay where it is, since it has no special outside dependencies, but the other three could be separated out.

Basically, each has to be buildable/distributable standalone, but easily
accessible for making changes if/when APIs change ...

I want them all in the same CVS basically to avoid any version skew issues. They should always have the same branches and the same tags as the core, for instance; and it seems hard to keep separate repositories in sync that closely.

But packaging them as separately buildable tarballs that depend only
on the installed core fileset (headers + pgxs) seems a fine idea.

Based on that criteria, I wouldn't be adverse to having a "static copy" of stuff like JDBC/ODBC in the core CVS ... not development copies, but something that Dave could submit a patch to close to a release so that when packaging/tagging is done, a jdbc.tar.gz package (or odbc.tar.gz package) could also be included "as part of the core distribution" ... same with the various libs ...

development for each would still be on pgfoundry/gborg ...

it would just mean that when someone went to:

        /pub/source/v8.1.0

they would find a libpqxx.tar.gz, jdbc.tar.gz, odbc.tar.gz, etc file ...

not sure if that would create more headaches then its worth though, but its a thought ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

     joining column's datatypes do not match