Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:01:45AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

With PostgreSQL *not* US based, we are not subject to the whim's of the US government, nor its export restrictions, nor its lawyers ...

I am not even going to touch this one.

Why?

Because I think if you think that having the CVS anywhere will matter to the US, I think your dead wrong.

If the US wants to come after the project they are going to one way or the other. They will either:

A. Prosecute US developers working on the project
B. Prosecute Non-US developers with countries they have extradition treaties with.
C. Send in the army to overthrow your dictator and hunt you.

It doesn't matter either way.

FYI, a US business can rather successfully sue a Canadian one.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the above 3. Frankly it is none of anybody's business what I think about it. However I am no fool in thinking that another country provides any veil if the US actually wants something you have.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

While I wouldn't put the terms exactly the way Marc did, I
_would_ say that the US approach to "intellectual property" in
software is sufficiently reaching as to qualify in the "over"
category.  Canada's rules are bad enough, but having worked under
both regimes, I'm moderately convinced that having a non-US "home
base" for CVS is a good idea.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting