Tom Lane wrote:

Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

First, I *really* wish we'd call it something else. Contrib conveys
"unsupported" to people.

And that's exactly what it is supposed to mean. We say, these modules do not necessarily meet our standards with regard to code quality, portability, user interfaces, internationalization, documentation, etc. There is certainly a lot of good software in contrib and one could in individual cases consider moving them out of there, but contrib is what it is.

Which is as it should be, I think. Contrib is essentially the "not quite ready for prime time" area. If it were 100% up to speed then it'd be in the core backend already ... while if we required it to be 100% in advance, then it'd not have gotten out there in the first place.

The real issue seems to be that we have a disconnect between what is
presently in contrib and what is on gborg or pgfoundry. There are
certainly many contrib modules that are only there on seniority: if
they were submitted today then they'd have gotten put on pgfoundry.
But I'm not sure that there's much value in an enforced cleanup.

I think there probably is. Too much in there looks just abandoned. On the flip side, I know we're dealing with the pg_autovacuum issue, but we get lots of queries about crypto functions and text search because people don't know they are in contrib.

BTW, I note that the TODO list has these delightfully non-specific items:

   * Move some things from /contrib into main tree
   * Move some /contrib modules out to their own project sites

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])