I haven't had much experience (okay, I've yet to use it) with tsearch2, but according to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/limitations.html, GiST does have concurrency issues "The current implementation of GiST within PostgreSQL has some major limitations: GiST access is not concurrent"

Could this be what we are experiencing?

All GiST indexes allow only 1 writer at a time. Dunno if that's causing your headaches. The other thing that causes deadlocks is using foreign keys...

Chris