-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sun 7/31/2005 2:58 PM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Tom Lane; Magnus Hagander; PostgreSQL-development
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Remote administration functionality

> I was thinking of a global table that can be modified with
> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE and is then dumped to a flat file, like we do with
> pg_shadow.

The problem is, pg_hba.conf might be editted via the OS unlike the text version
of pg_shadow which is only editted via the server, which would make appropriate
locking nigh-on impossible afaics.

Unless you're advocating only allowing pg_hba modifications via the server, in
which case it must be started in default configuration before any mods can be
made. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me :-(

Regards, Dave.