Tom Lane wrote:
I guess what this means is that there's no real problem with losing the
cache line while manipulating the LWLock, which is what the patch was
intended to prevent.  Instead, we're paying for swapping two cache lines
(the spinlock and the LWLock) across processors instead of just one line.
But that should at worst be a 2x inflation of the time previously spent
in LWLockAcquire/Release, which is surely not yet all of the application
;-).  Why the heck is this so bad?  Should we expect that apparently
minor changes in shared data structures might be costing equivalently
huge penalties in SMP performance elsewhere?

Unfortunately I don't have root on the Opteron and can't run oprofile.
But I'd really like to see some oprofile stats from these two cases
so we can figure out what in the world is going on here.  Can anyone
help?

I will try the patch here and see if it gives the same result. If so I could try to run with oprofile if you can give me a quick start.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster