[Removed all the non-list addresses]

Dann Corbit wrote:

Let me make something clear:
When we are talking about padding here it is only in the context of a
comparison operator and NOT having anything to do with storage.

Given two strings of different in a comparison, most database systems
(by default) will blank pad the shorter string so that they are the same
length before performing the comparison.

Hence, you will see that 'Danniel' = 'Danniel ' is true in most cases.

Now, this really does not have any connection with storage or varchar or
bpchar or char or text or anything like that.

Is this really true??? My understanding of the spec was that this was =exactly= the difference between char(N) and varchar(N) - the former is padded to length N when you store it, or at least the DB has to act as if this is the case. Can someone quote the appropriate chapter and verse?

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
  MITRE

              http://archives.postgresql.org