Simon Riggs wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Could someone please quantify how much bang we might get for what seems like quite a lot of bucks? I appreciate the need for speed, but the saving here strikes me as marginal at best, unless my instincts are all wrong (quite possible)
Two bytes per numeric value is not a lot, agreed.

I'm optimising for Data Warehousing. If you have a very large table with
a higher proportion of numerics on it, then your saving can be >5% of
tablesize which could be very useful. For the general user, it might
produce less benefit, I accept.

Well, it could also be argued that DW apps could often get away with using floating point types, even where the primary source needs to be in fixed point for accuracy, and that could generate lots of savings in speed and space. But I guess everybody gets to make their own choices.

cheers

andrew