Michael Glaesemann wrote:

On Nov 7, 2005, at 17:24 , Michael Paesold wrote:

Using both PostgreSQL 8.1.0 and CVS current of Nov 7, 9:00 am CET I get a regression failure in the interval tests. I am no export for the interval type, but the expected "9 days 28 hours" seem wrong, don't they? The actual value seems to be the same.

Is it possible that this is broken on the platform where the expected results were generated?

What platform are you testing on? With or without integer-datetimes?

Ok, forgot. This is *without* integer-datetimes, RHEL 3 (Linux 2.4.21, glibc 2.3.2, gcc 3.2.3 20030502) on i686 (Xeon without x86-64).

I just ran make check on for PostgreSQL 8.1.0 on Mac OS X 10.4.3
[snip]
I didn't have any regression failures. I'd also expect we'd see a lot more failures on the build farm if it were the case that it was broken just on the platform that the expected results were generated on. From a quick look at the current build farm failures on HEAD and REL8_1_STABLE, it doesn't look like any of the failures are failing here.

I just started to wonder about buildfarm, too, but found that most build farm members have --enable-integer-datetimes. Could that be an explanation? Is it possible that the code is wrong with --enable-integer-datetimes?

So what do you have in results/interval.out?
@ 4 years 1 mon 9 days 28 hours 18 mins 23 secs seems wrong to me, no?

Tom wrote for that commit:
revision 1.14
date: 2005/10/25 17:13:07;  author: tgl;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
Remove justify_hours call from interval_mul and interval_div, and make
some small stylistic improvements in these functions.  Also fix several
places where TMODULO() was being used with wrong-sized quotient argument,
creating a risk of overflow --- interval2tm was actually capable of going
into an infinite loop because of this.

Perhaps it is an intended behavior? If so, it still fails without integer-datetimes.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq