Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any conclusion. If I want to design an Open Source system now that may be in beta in three to six months and I'd like to use enums, is this a good place to look?

There's no way you're going to be using enums.

I guess I'm wondering about the kit going into PgFoundry, being accepted in the main branch or being dropped. And the timeframe for all that.

Time frame is more like 18 months. The kit is also very rough - not like a finished feature would be like at all. Plus, there's no guarantee the feature would ever make it into postgres.

Just don't use enums - they're awful.

Chris