Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:02:58PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
I am looking at creating a few generic functions builtin for the enum stuff. These would be tied to each enum type as it is created. However, they should not really appear in pg_proc initially, as there wouldn't be any enum types to tie them to anyway. But I want them to have reserved oids and appear in the list of builtins.

Why? What's wrong with creating the functions when people use the
module, like every other module in contrib? Is there a reason you need
fixed oids?

This is not intended for contrib. The whole point of the exercise is to have language support, which means either it's builtin or it doesn't happen. See my email with a general outline from a few days ago.

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq