Tom Lane wrote:

"Michael Paesold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
It's the '-l' option (list all databases) that does not honor the database given on the command line.
This does not work, if the postgres database is dropped in 8.1:

psql -l template1

It does seem a bit inconsistent that psql wouldn't connect to the
specified database in order to do -l, if one is specified.
Anyone want to look and see if it's easy to change?

The relevant code in startup.c reads:

       pset.db = PQsetdbLogin(options.host, options.port, NULL, NULL,
           options.action == ACT_LIST_DB ? "postgres" : options.dbname,
                              username, password);

I think we could probably just change the expression to something like:

options.action == ACT_LIST_DB && options.dbname == NULL ? "postgres" : options.dbname

cheers

andrew

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend