-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: 19 December 2005 05:37
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne
Cc: Peter Eisentraut; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Andreas Pflug; Dave Page Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Christopher Kings-Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

So it appears that pg_md5_encrypt is not officially

exported from libpq.
Does anyone see a problem with adding it to the export

list and the
header file?

Is it different to normal md5? How is this helpful to the

phpPgAdmin
project?

It would be better to export an API that is (a) less random (why one
input null-terminated and the other not?) and (b) less tightly tied
to MD5 --- the fact that the caller knows how long the result must be
is the main problem here.

Something like
char *pg_gen_encrypted_passwd(const char *passwd, const char *user)
with malloc'd result (or NULL on failure) seems more future-proof.

Changing the API is likely to cause fun on Windows for new apps that
find an old libpq.dll. Perhaps at this point it should become
libpq82.dll?

Regards, Dave.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq