Tom Lane wrote:
Michael Paesold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
This is a theory. The whole database was loaded using pg_restore, I still have the original dump so I will have a look at the dump now. The database actually contains some plperl functions.

OK, I think I have reproduced the problem.  initdb in C locale, then
start postmaster with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in its environment.  Then:

I had reproduced the problem here with a stripped down dump file from my backup, but your test case is much simpler, as usual. :-)

In the meantime, Michael, I'd suggest modifying your postmaster start
script to force LANG=C, and then reindexing all indexes you have on
text/varchar/char columns.  That should get you out of the immediate
problem and prevent it from recurring before we have a fix.

I had already reindexed all tables in a clean session and have now added "export LANG=C" to the profile of the postgres unix account. I cannot reproduce the bug after doing so.

Thank you for your quick help debugging the problem.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

              http://archives.postgresql.org