Tom,

Hmmm ... so, per you, we can't add extra views covering non-spec objects to the information_schema (like aggregates) because we can't modify it in any way. But per Peter we can't add new views to the pg_catalog because we want people to use information_schema. I sense a catch-22 here.

I doubt Peter really meant that we can't add any new views; in
particular, for information that is not available from the standard
information_schema it's certainly silly to claim that people should go
to information_schema for it.  I do see his point that we shouldn't
unnecessarily duplicate functionality that's available in a standardized
view.

Yes, I agree with him on that. However, there's a certain amount of confusion inspired by the organization that: "If you want to look up the table's columns go to information_schmea, if you want the table *size* go to sysviews." But maybe that's unavoidable. Or maybe we could link the information_schema views into pg_sysviews?

We'd earlier thought that the permissions stuff in information_schema made is untenable for any real database catalog use. If 03 has fixed that, though, maybe this can work. AndrewSN?

I do have doubts about adding any large number of add-on views to
pg_catalog, because of the privileged place of that schema in search
paths.  It'd be better to put them in a separate schema ("pg_info"
maybe?) where they'd pose less risk of conflicts with user-defined names.
Does newsysviews already do this?

Yes, in our original conception it was the schema pg_sysviews.

--Josh Berkus

      match