Bruce Momjian wrote:
Even if we had people do:

        justify_hours(justify_days(justify_hours()))

I don't think that would do what we want in all cases.  Consider '1 mon
-1 hour'.  That should be '29 days 23 hours' but neither existing
function, even if modified, will allow us to return that.  Only
something like justify_interval() could do it.

justify_days(justify_hours(...)) fixes *everything* in the most recently submitted patch, regardless of the convoluted case you invent. There is no data for which it won't work. There is no need for justify_interval(...), except as syntactic sugar.

Since the backward compatibility argument didn't convince you, then we should go with the existing patch as-is. Whether we introduce the new function justify_interval(...) could be treated as a separate question, though I don't mind putting that in the patch and resubmitting.

mark

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend