Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
I wonder if there could be a potential problem with using this approach
-
checking on $USER == root.

Although it is a common practice, I think a superuser does not have to
be root.

Yes, like the 'toor' account in FreeBSD... (disabled by default though)

Might be better to check if uid == 0, however there are some traps here too as the most convenient methd ('id -u') is not support everywhere (e.g Solaris 8). I think I used awk or sed on the plain old 'id' output last time something like this came up.

Cheers

Mark