Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
foo=# set maintenance_work_mem to 2000000;
SET
foo=# VACUUM ANALYZE verbose;
INFO:  vacuuming "information_schema.sql_features"
ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 2047999998

Just an FYI, I reported a similar problem on my 8.0.0 database a few weeks ago. I upgraded to 8.1.3 and just recetly got that message again in a nighly maintenance email.

vacuumdb: vacuuming database "postgres"
vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "postgres" failed: ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 167772156.

The interesting thing is that there aren't any tables in the postgres database. This happened Thursday night, but vacuum ran fine on Friday night. I'm on vacation right now, so I can't really look into it much deeper at the moment, but I thought I would mention it.

Matt

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster