I was talking with Jonathan Gennick about the INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING stuff, and he recommended looking into the way DB2 handles similar functionality.  After looking into it a bit, it's more inline with what Tom's suggestion was regarding a query from the operation rather than returning the values in the manner currently required.

Here's DB2's syntax... does anyone have any familiarity with it?

Simply put, it's sort-of like:

SELECT * FROM (FINAL | NEW | OLD) TABLE (INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE)

I'd like to hear from anyone that's used it to see if it really is better... logically it seems nicer, but I've never used it.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation