David Fetter wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:46:29PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

I wish somebody would explain to me the compelling use case for
this.

As with "in-place upgrades,"[1] the compelling use case is being short
on disk space.  For somebody with a multi-TB (or whatever figure
sounds big this week) PostgreSQL database, it may be impossible to get
space for twice or more that.  Giving people the option to stream
COPYs through a pipe would alleviate a lot of pain.

Cheers,

[1]  A feature people seem to think we don't need, although convincing
cases have been made for it.

But why is that hugely better than piping psql output to gzip?

The Unix philosophy is to use small chains of tools rather than put everything into one big tool.

Thus, this is quite unlike inplace upgrade, which I agree would be great (and where I would far rather see people spend their efforts), because unlike for this "feature" there is no viable alternative.

cheers

andrew

      match