On 31/5/06 18:28, "Magnus Hagander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> COPY ... TO '|

>> format that's
>>>

>>> It does have that advantage. Gzip and others are not particularly
>>> Windows friendly for example.
>>
>> ... as most windows programs are pipe agnostic.
>
> For the record, gzip on win32 works perfectly fine both as a separate
> program and running in a pipe. No problem at all. The only issue is that
> it's not available by default. (And possible issues with programs
> launching it that don't know how to deal with windows style directory
> naming)

Exactly my point; how many production Windows servers do you have with gzip
anywhere near them? Andreas' point about pipes is also valid though - it's
simply not the norm on Windows as I found when we were porting Slony
(more.exe barfs at >8MB being pipe in).

Regards, Dave.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend