On Jun 10, 2006, at 23:51 , Michael Glaesemann wrote:

A range can be formed for any point type, where a point type is any type that's well-ordered: * the range of values is bounded (the number of values in the type is finite)
        * comparisons are well-defined for any two values, and
* for any point p, the next point can be found using a successor function

It was pointed out to me off list that I got my definition of well- ordered wrong. I was confusing the definition of well-ordered with the overall requirements that I was using to define ranges.

Well-ordered is just that for any two values a and b of a given type, a < b is defined. That's what I was attempting to get at in the second point above. The added requirements of having the type bounded (which is going to happen on a computer anyway) and having a successor function are still required for the range definition, but not part of the definition of well-orderedness per se.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net