Tom Lane wrote:

Anyway, the tail end of the trace
shows it repeatedly sending off a UDP packet and getting practically the
same data back:

I'm not too up on what the DNS protocol looks like on-the-wire, but I'll
bet this is it.  I think it's trying to look up "kaltenbrunner.cc" and
failing.

Why are we actually looking up anything? Just so we can bind to a listening socket?

Anyway, maybe the box needs a lookup line in its /etc/resolv.conf to direct it to use files first, something like

 lookup file bind

Stefan, can you look into that? It would be a bit ugly if it's calling DNS (and failing) to resolve localhost.

cheers

andrew