PFC wrote:

What you seem not to grasp at this point is a large web-farm, about 10 or more servers running PHP, Java, ASP, or even perl. The database is usually
the most convenient and, aside from the particular issue we are talking
about, best suited.

The answer is sticky sessions : each user is assigned to one and only one webserver in the cluster and his session is maintained locally, in RAM. No locks, no need to manage distributed session...

Sticky sessions can cause enormous problems. I have just worked on a site whose problems largely come back to having to use a load balancer in front of an app server farm that required sticky sessions.

They are not a solution, they are a disease.

cheers

andrew